Friday 2 February 2007

Weekly Progress (2)

(Thursday 1st & Friday 2nd Feb 07)
  • The worked planned was to capture the animals and birds on my list. As I had media lessons off on both Thursday and Friday, I used all the time available. So from 8.3opm I started filming. To capture the footage I need to take with me both the digital video camera and the tripod.
  • Both Thursday and Friday proved to be enourmously successful. On all the outings I had I have got a large amount of my list of animals ticked off. So far I have captured the Blackbird, Ferel Pigeon, Robins, Grey Squirell, Common Gull, Crow and more Grey Squirrels. (Note: I have mentioned all the animals that i want in the list, they are just what 'I am intending and hopeful of capturing for my documentary'). Today (Friday), I was both the luckiest and unluckiest person. As I was in the park, I heard a knocking sound that seemed familiar, to confirm my suspicions, I followed the sound, and when i looked up I saw a Green Woodpecker (right), which is the largest of the three Woodpeckers in Britain, drilling a whole in the bark of the Tree. However by the time i looked to see where it was, It flew away. I was lucky of finding some more, and got them on footage, but in the open spaces. I missed out on a Green Woodpecker pecking a whole in the tree. But next time I go out, I will purposely look for it. I also saw another type of Woodpecker, I could not entirely tell, it was either the Great or Small Spotted Woodpecker, but it just flew away before I even got to set up. Oh yeah, and I got a glimse of a Red Fox. One downside was that I had to keep going back to the house once the batteries ran out (twice on Thursday and once on Friday), Then I had to wait for the batteries to recharge before I could continue with my filming which took up time aswell. But overall, I got some fantastic footage.
  • Overall, I have to say from the last two days I have got more than what I had planned. However I've made a decision in that although you are supposed to start editing as soon as possible, I have decided that I will use the full filming time given just in case I miss out on anything and also I still feel I need even more footage. I am getting ready to move onto my second tape. The aim of my next trek through Rectory Park, will be to find the Green Woodpecker, especially now I know where some of their nests are. I am also intending to climb up a tree and look inside one of the bird nest. Also I still need more footage of songbirds i.e Robins, Blue Tits etc. and others such as Magpies and House Sparrow. Also I will have to start staying up again as the Foxes have truely returned. But another job well done I'd say. Tonight I will stay up and look out for Foxes.

No comments: